Kirtan: Ecstatic Chants of Devotion with Shantala
Time: 6:30 PM, Thursday, April 10, 2014
Location: Center for Spiritual Living, 505 Camino de los Marquez, Santa Fe, NM 87505
Benjy and Heather Wertheimer lead kirtan (sacred chanting) worldwide as the duo Shantala, with soul-stirring vocals, sacred lyrics and exotic instrumentation. The weaving of Benjy’s Indian classical singing and instrumentation with Heather’s soaring vocals is freshly original and profoundly moving. Together they create music with beauty, passion, and reverence.
Join us on this special evening to experience this spiritual ecstasy! Tickets are available online at Bright Star Live Events or Or by calling me at Blue Earth Healing, 505-982-6868. Prices: $15+tax ($16.23) in advance before Tuesday, April 8, 2014; $20+tax ($21.64) at the door.
More Info: Shantala has performed and recorded internationally with such sacred music luminaries as Krishna Das, Deva Premal & Miten, and Jai Uttal. In summer 2008, they were named as one of the top “Wallahs to Watch” by Yoga + Joyful Living. Kirtan is a celebration of spirit through the chanting of sacred names, carrying the audience into a state of heightened awareness, bliss, and devotion. The audience is invited to participate fully through call-and-response chanting, dance, and meditation.
Heather Wertheimer is a singer, songwriter, and guitarist who combines her special love of both music and yoga to lead devotional chanting for yoga workshops and spiritual gatherings internationally. Heather has toured in the U.S. and abroad with her husband Benjy, Steve Gorn, Manose, and Deva Premal & Miten. Heather’s debut CD with Shantala, “Church of Sky,” was named by New Age Retailer as one of the top ten albums of 2004. It has been aired on radio stations nationwide. In April 2003, she and Benjy released “The Love Window,” a beautiful and well-loved collection of sacred chants. In 2007, they released “Sri,” their second popular kirtan CD, and their first live CD “LIVE in love” was released in 2008.
Benjy Wertheimer is an award-winning songwriter, vocalist, composer, and multi-instrumentalist (playing tabla, congas, percussion, esraj, guitar, and keyboards). Benjy has toured and recorded with such artists as Krishna Das, Deva Premal & Miten, Jai Uttal, Walter Becker (Steely Dan), and virtuoso guitarist Michael Mandrell. He has opened for such artists as Carlos Santana, Paul Winter, and Narada Michael Walden. A founding member of the internationally acclaimed Ancient Future world fusion music ensemble, Benjy also toured the U.S., Canada, and Japan with renowned bamboo flute master G.S. Sachdev. He studied Indian classical music for over 25 years with some of the greatest masters of that tradition (including Alla Rakha, Zakir Hussain, Ali Akbar Khan and Z. M. Dagar). Benjy’s CDs receive extensive airplay around the world, and his CD “Circle of Fire” went to #1 on the New Age radio charts in November 2002.
Blue Spirit Wheel Mantra Yoga Weekend: Saturday, May 17, 2014 and Sunday, May 18, 2014
Join us! Blue Spirit Wheel is a mantra band from Atlanta, GA. They will be with us on:
- Saturday, May 17, 2014 for an evening kirtan concert at the Railyard Performance Center, 8:00pm. This will be an evening of deep devotion through the beat of a bluesy, soul filled kirtan. $10-$15 sliding fee. The Railyard Performance Center is at 1611 Paseo de Peralta.
- Sunday, May 18, 2014, Kundalini Yoga and live music with mantra featuring Blue Spirit Wheel, 2:00pm – 4:00pm at Center for Spiritual Living, 505 Camino de los Marquez. Fee $10-$15 sliding scale. Listen and read more here: www.BlueSpiritWheel.com
2nd Annual Santa Fe Kirtan Fest: Friday, October 3, 2014 & Saturday, October 4, 2014
- Friday, October 3, 2014, enjoy the gifts and spiritual upliftment of two teachers, Hawah and Emily Branden for a two-hour yoga class in front of the music of Amani Friend! 6:30-8:30pm, $25
- Friday, October 3, 2014, Xstatic Dance with Desert Dwellers,9:30pm-Midnight, $20 and DJ Troubadour Shawn.
- Saturday, October 4, 2014, 1:30pm till late night, Kirtan, yoga and more! Featuring gentle yoga with Hawah, Kirtan with Sitar & Kalyani and Pavan Kumar, Sita Jameison, Sitaram Dass, Darshan, Annie Goodwin and more! Pricing to be announced
All events at Railyard Performance Center. Call Gaia for Sponsor Info 505-982-6868. Learn more here: www.SantaFeKirtanFest.com
Kundalini Yoga. Laugh and Sweat with Gaia! (ongoing)
- Saturday & Sundays, 9:00-10:15am, Pomegranate Studios, (behind Sage Bakery) 535 Paseo de Peralta, Santa Fe, NM 87505, Fee 2 Classes $20, 5 Classes $40, 10 classes $75. Teens free.
- Wednesdays 12:15pm till 1:30pm, Railyard Performance Center, 1611 Paseo de Peralta. Fees above.
Community Kirtan (ongoing)
- Fridays, 4:30pm – 5:30pm, Railyard Performance Center, 1611 Paseo de Peralta, Santa Fe, NM 87505. Fee by donation, suggested $5 – $10 as you can
- Saturdays, 7pm, Santa Fe Community Yoga Center, by donation, Suggested $10 as you are able. See www.Sitaramdass.com for more info.